Thanks to the 300 Km Volunteers!

This is the place to discuss upcoming or past
events of NJ Randonneurs. Post your ride reports, upcoming information and ride comments here.

Thanks to the 300 Km Volunteers!

Postby Souplesse » Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Katie, Paul, Todd, Mrs. Todd, Leroy, Steve, Jon and Joe K. (and anyone else I inadvertently missed): Thanks for all of your hard work on yesterday's 300 Km. You made it an absolutely great event.

It is one of my favorite rides of all time (although it's hard to remind myself of that as I struggle up all of the hills). A beautiful day, a beautiful ride, and stellar company and support -- who could ask for more? -- Joe F.
Souplesse
Rando-newb

Re: Thanks to the 300 Km Volunteers!

Postby bluegitane » Sun May 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Thank you guys indeed!

If such a thing as the perfect Brevet does exist, the Princeton 300 is a serious contender for the title. It was my 8th edition as a rider and I keep enjoying it all the same. The long and easy patches between all these clusters of hills and long stages / small number of controles enable even the slow Randonneur to make it at controles comfortably on time. The virtually traffic-free last stage is a great way to finish what is in general an event run over mostly light-trafficked roads. Food at controles is great in the best 'NJ Gourmet series' tradition (with more of that to come on the 400).

And, what a crew of wonderful volunteers looking after us! Though I reckon feeling vaguely envious of Steve once at the top of Jenny Jump and would have readily settled back then for switching jobs...

One cue sheet suggestion for next year: it may be worth highlighting on the cue sheet the existence of a deli in Marlborough just past (continuing SO instead of taking the R turn where the route continues) the instruction at mile 73.6. On Saturday the general store at mile 70.0 proved closed and I advised Dan and Susan, all three of us running dry, that we may have a chance a few miles down the road. The deli indeed saved us from having to tackle the hilly 12 miles before Blairstown with no water, not a happy prospect.
Laurent Chambard
Englewood, NJ
bluegitane
Top-Level Member

Postby Slugger » Sun May 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Seconded! How fantastic to be greeted by friendly, smiling faces, nicely stocked stops, and veggie chili with mac & cheese and cornbread! Nom! Thanks for everything you guys do - before, during, and after the ride.
Slugger
Rando-newb

Postby pskramer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Thank you to all the volunteers, especially the advice given to me at the Jenny Jump control (you know who you are).

And thanks to the author of the great cue sheet, especially the instruction at mile 59.5. Unfortunately I noticed the "and climb" instruction too late, took the corner, mistook it for a steep descent, began to coast, immediately came to a halt and tipped over, unable to unclip fast enough.

Thank you for the umteemth time to bluegitane for the companionship and the peace of mind knowing that if I stick with you I'm sure to finish. Last, but within time.
pskramer

Postby daveppawlyk » Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Yup, another well-run ride.
daveppawlyk
Rando-newb

Postby gbrandt » Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 am

Thank you all for a making it a
very enjoyable ride. Well done!!
gbrandt
Rando-newb

Postby joek » Sun May 12, 2013 12:36 am

Laurent,

i believe you are referring to the Marksboro Deli which is just past our turn off of Route 94. I have used it myself and it is open when we pass by there. It is only slightly beyond the turn for the Stillwater loop. Topping up fluids there is a good idea before that 12 mile stretch of hilly terrain. I'll endeavor to remember to note it on next year's cue sheet.

Glad you had a good time on the ride.

Joe
may the miles roll smoothly beneath your wheels while the wind blows gently at your back
joek
Top-Level Member

Return to NJ Randonneurs Rides