Englewood 400K June 21, 2008 Event Description

This is the place to discuss upcoming or past
events of NJ Randonneurs. Post your ride reports, upcoming information and ride comments here.

Moderators: jud, Iceman, Henry

Englewood 400K June 21, 2008 Event Description

by Iceman on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:57 pm

From Laurent's previous post: A quick pre-view about the 2008 400k, which will have in due time (before end January) its own dedicated description on this site just like we did in 2007 for all our events.
The event will start from Englewood NJ at 5h00am, and will lead to control # 1 in Beacon NY by the same route as on past year's Englewood 600 (which is: essentially rolling, with a few serious-ish climbs, but also quite a bit of fast flat sections). Then the route turns around Poughkeepsie by a completely new route, much less trafficky, a good bit more hilly, and I believe overall much nicer compared to the section used on the Englewood 600. We rejoin Englewood 600 territory not too far before Rhinebeck NY, where control # 2 takes place. We then continue along the river for a little while before crossing it North of Kingston (i.e. not as far North as Catskill), going through Kingston over back roads, visiting Hurley of Englewood 600 lore without stopping, and continuing over lovely valley lanes to Ellenville NY and controle # 3. This stage is essentially flat and easy - and has a lot of shade too which might be important at the time you will be there.
Upon leaving Ellenville we climb up the Shawangung range and then head towards Montgomery where the Englewood 600 route is met again all the (fiercely rolling) way to Chester for controle # 4. And the long last stage is a copycat of the Englewood 600's last stage with the visit of Harriman State Forest (at night for most of you) and roller-coaster towards Nyack before an easy finish.
We are still a long way before the event so some changes might still occur on the route design (I have received suggestions), however the start / finish place shouldn't change and I will aim at using the tried-and-tested Crowne Plaza hotel in Englewood, and neither should change the philosophy of the route: a 400k that will make you work hard sometimes, without being a full-blooded Grimpeur event. From my armchair, I would rate hilliness to be a bit harder than the Boston 400 vintages 2005 and 2006, if it means something to you guys (come on, I rode the Boston 400 in '05 on the Gitane with steel rims, so don't tell me our new 400 is too hard for you toughies!).
What is sure is that it will be our first hilly-ish 400 after 5 straight years of absolute flatness, so we should see some interesting reactions and comments...
RBA
NJ Randonneurs

Iceman
Randonneur RBA

Re: Englewood 400K Map Overview

by Iceman on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:33 pm

RBA
NJ Randonneurs

Iceman
Randonneur RBA

Return to NJ Randonneurs Rides